Sparks is a city located in the state of Nevada, in the United States. It is located in Washoe County, just east of the city of Reno, and is considered to be part of the Reno-Sparks metropolitan area. According to the United States Census Bureau, the population of Sparks was approximately 100,995 in 2019.
Sparks was founded in 1904, and was named after the late governor of Nevada, John Sparks. The city has a rich history, and was once home to the Northern Nevada Railway, which played a key role in the development of the city.
Sparks is home to a number of large businesses and industrial companies, including the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center, which is one of the largest industrial parks in the world, and is home to companies such as Tesla, Google, and Switch. The city is also home to the Sparks Marina Park, a man-made lake that offers a variety of recreational activities such as boating, fishing, and picnicking.
Sparks also offers a variety of cultural and entertainment options, including the Nugget Casino Resort, which features a casino, multiple restaurants, and a variety of shows and events. Additionally, the city is home to the Sparks Heritage Museum, which celebrates the history of the city and the surrounding area, and the Wild Island Family Adventure Park, an amusement park featuring water slides, mini golf and Go-Kart Racing.
Sparks is also close to many outdoor recreational opportunities, such as skiing, hiking, and biking, and also has a great location near the airport and only a short drive to Lake Tahoe, The Sierra Nevada Range and the Black Rock Desert.
Sparks has a lot to offer, from its rich history, to its great recreational opportunities, and its vibrant cultural and entertainment scene.
Things to do in Sparks:
- Visit the Nugget Casino Resort: The Nugget Casino Resort is a popular entertainment destination in Sparks, offering a variety of gaming options, restaurants, and shows.
- Explore the Sparks Heritage Museum: The museum celebrates the history of the city and the surrounding area, and offers a variety of exhibits and artifacts.
- Take a stroll at the Sparks Marina Park: This man-made lake offers a variety of recreational activities such as boating, fishing, and picnicking.
- Go to Wild Island Family Adventure Park: It’s a family friendly amusement park that offers water slides, mini golf, and go-kart racing.
- Visit the Discovery Museum: It’s an interactive science museum for families and children to learn about the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) through exhibits and interactive activities.
- Check out Victorian Square: It’s a shopping center and entertainment district in the heart of downtown Sparks, with a variety of shops, restaurants, and events.
- Take a hike at the Rancho San Rafael Regional Park: It’s a large park with many hiking and biking trails, as well as picnic areas, playgrounds, and ball fields.
- Go skiing or snowboarding at Mount Rose Ski Tahoe: It’s a nearby ski resort, which offers a variety of slopes and runs for skiers and snowboarders of all abilities.
- Visit the Sparks Farmers Market: Open seasonally on weekends, this market offers fresh produce, artisanal food, and crafts from local vendors.
- Visit the Gerlach Station Museum: The museum displays artifacts from local history, including the area’s mining past and the Reno Air Races.
- Take a trip to the Truckee River Walk: It’s a paved walkway along the Truckee River, offering scenic views, picnic areas, and fishing opportunities.
- Play a round of golf at the Red Hawk Golf and Resort: It’s a top-rated golf course, which offers a challenging round of golf for players of all abilities.
- Go to the Sparks Library: The library offers a wide range of books, movies, and other resources, as well as programs and events for all ages.
- Visit the Sparks Museum and Cultural Center: The museum offers exhibits and artifacts related to the history of the city and the surrounding area.
- Take a day trip to nearby Lake Tahoe: Known for its crystal clear waters and stunning scenery, Lake Tahoe is a popular destination for hiking, swimming, boating, and more.
- Visit the Sparks Florist: The shop has a wide range of beautiful flowers, plants and gifts.
- Enjoy a concert at the John Ascuaga’s Nugget: The venue hosts many musical performances, comedy shows, and other live entertainment events.
- Take a drive on the Virginia City Scenic Byway: The byway takes you through historic Virginia City, home to many museums and historic sites.
- Visit the Galena Creek Park: It’s a large park with many hiking and biking trails, as well as picnic areas and playgrounds.
- Visit the Sparks Justice Court: The court offers tours of the historic building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.