About South Bend:
South Bend is a city in Indiana, United States. It is the fourth largest city in the state and the county seat of St. Joseph County. South Bend is located in the Michiana region of Northern Indiana, near the Michigan border. The city is known for being the home of the University of Notre Dame, a private Catholic research university. South Bend is also home to a number of other higher education institutions, including Indiana University South Bend and Holy Cross College. The city has a strong manufacturing base and is home to several major corporations, including the AM General vehicle manufacturing plant. The downtown area features a number of historic buildings, and the city is home to several museums, including the Studebaker National Museum and the Northern Indiana Center for History.
Things to do in South Bend
- Visit the University of Notre Dame and explore the campus, including the Notre Dame Basilica and the Golden Dome.
- Take a tour of the AM General manufacturing plant and see how vehicles are made.
- Explore the Studebaker National Museum and learn about the history of the Studebaker automobile company.
- Visit the Northern Indiana Center for History and learn about the history of South Bend and the surrounding region.
- Check out the Morris Performing Arts Center and see a show or concert.
- Go shopping at the University Park Mall.
- Visit the South Bend Chocolate Company and take a tour of the chocolate factory.
- Spend an afternoon at the South Bend Civic Theatre, which offers a variety of live performances.
- Take a stroll through the downtown area and check out the historic buildings, including the South Bend County Courthouse.
- Visit the South Bend Museum of Art, which features a collection of works by local, national, and international artists.
- Go golfing at one of the city’s many golf courses.
- Take a hike or go mountain biking at the St. Patrick’s County Park.
- Go fishing or boating on the St. Joseph River.
- Visit the South Bend Children’s Museum and have a fun day of interactive exhibits and activities.
- Check out the East Race Waterway, a man-made white-water rafting and kayaking course.
- Visit the Potawatomi Zoo and see a wide variety of animals from around the world.
- Go ice skating at Howard Park Ice Rink.
- Take a tour of the Notre Dame Stadium and learn about the history of Notre Dame football.
- Visit the South Bend Brew Werks and sample some of the local craft beer.
- Take a trip to the Potawatomi Park and Nature Preserve and see the various plants and animals that call the park home.