Siegen is a city in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany. It is located in the southeast part of the state, about 25 kilometers (15 miles) east of the city of Olpe. Siegen has a population of about 100,000 people and covers an area of about 86 square kilometers (33 square miles). The city is known for its beautiful landscapes, including the nearby Rothaar Mountains and the Siegerland countryside. It has a university, University of Siegen, which was founded in 1972. The city’s economy is primarily based on service industries and manufacturing, with a particular focus on metalworking and machine engineering.
It has a long history dating back to the Roman Empire, with some parts of the city wall remaining from that era.
Things to do in Siegen
- Visit the Siegerlandmuseum, which showcases the region’s history and culture.
- Take a walk through the historic city center and see the remaining parts of the city wall from the Roman era.
- Visit the Burg Castle, which dates back to the 12th century and offers beautiful views of the surrounding landscape.
- Explore the Botanical Garden of the University of Siegen.
- Visit the Stadtmuseum Siegen, which tells the story of the city and its people.
- Take a hike in the nearby Rothaar Mountains, which offer beautiful scenery and outdoor activities.
- Visit the town of Netphen, which is located about 15 kilometers (9 miles) east of Siegen and has a beautiful old town.
- Visit the Siegerlandhalle, a cultural center that hosts concerts and events.
- Visit the Siegen Planetarium and learn about astronomy and space.
- Visit the Naturkundemuseum Siegen, which showcases the natural history of the region.
- Visit the Gedenkstätte Deutsche Widerstand 1933–1945, a museum dedicated to the German resistance during World War II.
- Visit the Olbricht-Arboretum, a botanical garden and arboretum that features over 2,500 species of plants.
- Take a drive or bike ride in the nearby Siegerland countryside, which is known for its beautiful landscapes.
- Visit the St. James’ Church, which dates back to the 13th century and is a beautiful example of Gothic architecture.
- Visit the St. Mary’s Church, which is a beautiful example of Baroque architecture and is located in the city center.
- Visit the Wilhelmshöhe Park, which is a large public park that offers many activities, including a playground and mini-golf course.
- Visit the Museum of Modern Art, which showcases contemporary art from the region.
- Visit the Siegen Bowling Center and enjoy a game of bowling.
- Visit the Wilnsdorf Dam and enjoy a picnic or hike near the water.
- Visit the nearby towns of Bad Berleburg, Bad Laasphe, and Attendorn, which offer more historical and cultural sights to explore.