Sculpture “Wirbelwind” (1973) (Hermann König).
Moers is a city in the Lower Rhine region of Germany. It is located in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia and is part of the district of Wesel. The city has a population of around 160,000 people. Moers is known for its medieval castle and for being the birthplace of the famous German poet Annette von Droste-Hülshoff. The city is also home to several industrial companies and is an important economic center in the region. Moers is located near the Dutch border and is about 35 kilometers northwest of Düsseldorf.
Things to do in Moers
- Visit the Moers Castle, a medieval fortress with a history dating back to the 14th century.
- See the Annette von Droste-Hülshoff Museum, which is dedicated to the life and work of the famous German poet.
- Take a stroll through the picturesque old town and enjoy the colorful half-timbered houses and charming cobblestone streets.
- Visit the Stadtmuseum Moers, which covers the history of the city, the Lower Rhine region, and the mining industry.
- Visit the St. John’s Church, a Gothic-style church from the 14th century.
- Take a hike or bike ride through the nearby natural area of Moers-Meerfeld and enjoy the scenic views.
- Visit the Kletterwald Moers, an adventure park with high ropes courses and zip-lines.
- Go shopping at the Marktplatz, a historic marketplace that has been in operation for centuries.
- Visit the Baumwipfelpfad, a Tree-top walk, Its a pathway that takes visitors through the forest canopy to the top of an observation tower.
- Take a boat tour on the nearby Rhein-Herne Kanal
- Visit the Schlossmuseum, a museum housed in the castle that displays the history of the castle and the city.
- Take a day trip to the nearby Dutch town of Venlo, which is located just a short distance from Moers.
- Visit the Theater Moers, which hosts a variety of plays, musicals, and concerts throughout the year.
- See the impressive collection of modern art at the Ludwig Galerie Schloss Oberhausen
- Take in the historic architecture of the St. Johann Baptist Church.
- Visit the city’s many parks and gardens, such as the Parkanlagen Moers, which offers plenty of opportunities for picnicking and relaxation.
- Visit the Moorbad Moers, an indoor and outdoor swimming pool with sauna and spa facilities.
- Take a guided tour of the city to learn more about its history and culture.
- Visit the Museum Schloss Moers, which offers a glimpse into the lives of the castle’s past inhabitants.
- Visit the nightlife scene, which offers plenty of options for food, drink, and entertainment.