Historic city walls in Hildesheim.
Hildesheim is a city in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is located about 30 kilometers south of Hanover. The city has a population of around 103,000 people. Hildesheim is known for its 1,200-year-old St. Mary’s Cathedral, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and its 1,000-year-old St. Michael’s Church. The city also has a well-preserved medieval town center, with many half-timbered houses and cobbled streets. Hildesheim has a long history, dating back to the Roman Empire, and was an important center of the cloth trade during the Middle Ages. Today, it is a vibrant and culturally rich city, with many museums, galleries, and festivals throughout the year.
Things to do in Hildesheim:
- Visit the Roemer- und Pelizaeus-Museum, which houses one of the world’s largest collections of ancient Egyptian and Sudanese artifacts.
- Visit the Hildesheim Cathedral Treasure Museum, which houses an impressive collection of art and artifacts.
- Visit the Hildesheim Town Museum, which offers an interesting glimpse into the city’s history and culture.
- Take a walk along the historic city walls, which offer great views of the city.
- Visit the Hildesheimer Moor nature reserve, a beautiful area of wetlands and forests.
- Visit the Lower Saxony State Museum, which has a rich collection of art, archeology and cultural history.
- Visit the St. Godehard’s Monastery, a historic monastery that dates back to the 10th century
- Explore the St. Mary’s Monastery, a beautiful medieval monastery that is now a cultural center.
- Take a walk through the Hildesheim Botanical Garden, which features a wide variety of plants and gardens.
- Take a stroll through the Hildesheim city park, a large park with a lake, playgrounds and sports facilities.
- Visit the IKEA Museum, which tells the story of the iconic Swedish furniture company.
- Take a trip to the nearby town of Goslar, a historic town known for its half-timbered houses and medieval architecture.
- Take a trip to the nearby town of Salzgitter, home to the Salzgitter-Bad spa, which is known for its thermal baths and wellness treatments.
- Visit the Hildesheim Zoo, which has a wide variety of animals from around the world.
- Visit the Hildesheim Planetarium, a great place for stargazing and learning about astronomy.
- Take a trip to the nearby town of Osterode am Harz, a popular destination for hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities.
- Visit the Hildesheim Museum of Applied Arts, which features a wide variety of decorative arts and crafts.
- Visit the Hildesheim Museum of Industry, which tells the story of Hildesheim’s industrial past.
- Visit the Hildesheim Museum of Modern Art, which features a wide variety of contemporary art from around the world.
- Visit the Hildesheim Museum of Local History, which provides an interesting glimpse into the history and culture of Hildesheim.