Edison, NJ, USA
Replica of Edison’s lab where he invented the first commercially practical light bulb.
Edison is a township in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. It is located in the central part of the state and is part of the New York metropolitan area. The township was named after Thomas Edison, the inventor and businessman who had a major impact on the development of the area.
Edison is the fifth-most populous municipality in New Jersey and is home to a diverse population. The town is known for its good schools, safe neighborhoods, and ample recreational opportunities. It has a vibrant downtown area with a variety of shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions, and is also home to several large business parks, including the Metropark complex, which is one of the largest employment centers in the state.
The township of Edison is made up of several smaller communities, including Edison, North Edison, and Westfield Gardens. Each of these communities has its own distinct character and amenities, and the town as a whole is known for its strong sense of community.
Edison is home to a number of major corporations, including PSE&G, JPMorgan Chase, and Merck & Co. The township is also home to several universities and research centers, including Rutgers University and the New Jersey Center for Science, Technology, and Mathematics.
The town has good public transportation, many major highways and easy access to NYC, Philadelpia, and other major cities by car or train which makes it very desirable place to live and work.
Overall, Edison is a great place to live, work and raise a family, while enjoying the many opportunities that the New York metropolitan area has to offer.
Things to do in Edison:
- Visit the Thomas Edison Center at Menlo Park, where you can see where the inventor worked and conducted many of his experiments.
- Explore the Grounds for Sculpture, a 42-acre park that features sculptures by artists from around the world.
- Take a tour of the Tamarack Lodge and Bird Sanctuary, which is home to a wide variety of bird species.
- Visit the Middlesex County Fair, which takes place in August and features live music, rides, and a wide variety of food and drinks.
- Explore the ancient Egyptian artifacts at the Charles Cummings New Jersey Archaeological Society.
- Take a walk in the Presidential Park, which features statues of every U.S. president and offers a lovely view.
- Attend a concert or show at the State Theatre, which hosts a variety of performances throughout the year.
- Spend a day at the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall, one of the largest outlet malls in the state.
- Take a hike or bike ride through the James A. McDivitt Memorial Park.
- Visit the Edison Memorial Tower and Museum, which honors the inventor and offers a panoramic view of the area.
- Have a picnic in the Washington Rock State Park, which offers great views of the New York City skyline.
- Visit the Menlo Park Mall, which features a wide variety of shops and restaurants.
- Go ice-skating at the Hilton Rink, which is open year-round.
- Take a swim in the community pool at the John P. Stevens High School.
- Play a round of golf at the Tamarack Golf Course.
- Visit the Woodbridge Community Center, which features a wide variety of activities and classes.
- Take a walk through the Oak Tree Pond Park, which offers a peaceful setting and a playground.
- Attend a meeting of the Edison Environmental Commission, which works to improve the environment in the town.
- Go fishing in the Raritan River, which is stocked with a variety of fish species.
- Visit the Ford Motor Company Research and Development Center, one of the largest research facilities in the area.