Bremerhaven is a city in the northwest of Germany, located on the River Weser. It is a port city and one of the most important locations for the German fishing industry. The city is also a hub for international trade and the home of the German Maritime Museum. Bremerhaven was officially founded in 1827 as a port city for the city of Bremen, which is located about 50 miles to the south. Today, the population of Bremerhaven is around 115,000 people.
Things to do in Bremerhaven:
- Visit the German Maritime Museum (Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum) to learn about the history of the German shipping industry and maritime culture.
- Explore the Klimahaus Bremerhaven 8° Ost, an interactive museum that takes visitors on a journey through different climate zones around the world.
- Take a tour of the historic fisheries port to learn about the city’s role in the German fishing industry.
- Visit the Columbus Center, which houses several exhibits on the history of seafaring and the famous explorer Christopher Columbus.
- Walk along the River Weser promenade for views of the harbor and the surrounding area.
- Visit the Havenwelten, a museum complex that tells the history of the city’s port and its role in international trade.
- Take a boat tour of the harbor to see the ships and boats up close.
- Visit the Zoo at the Sea (Zoom Erlebniswelt) to see marine animals like seals, sea lions, and sharks.
- Visit the German Emigration Center (Deutsches Auswandererhaus) to learn about the history of German emigration to North America.
- Explore the Alter Leuchtturm, an old lighthouse that has been converted into a museum and observation deck.
- Take a walk or bike ride through the beautiful Fischtown neighborhood, known for its picturesque houses and harbor views.
- Visit the Bremerhaven Museum to learn about the history and culture of the city and the surrounding region.
- Visit the Bremerhaven Sea Science Center (Meerwissen) to learn about the science of the sea and its impact on the environment.
- Take a day trip to the nearby island of Spiekeroog to enjoy its beaches, dunes, and natural beauty.
- Visit the Bremerhaven Bus Museum (Stadtverkehrsmuseum) to see vintage buses and learn about the history of public transportation in the city.
- Visit the Klimahaus Bremerhaven 8° Ost-exhibit the Antarctic Room
- Visit the St. Peter’s Church, the city’s main place of worship, known for its beautiful architecture.
- Take a trip to the nearby North Sea island of Langeoog
- Visit the Bremerhaven Astronomical Observatory
- Visit the atlanticum, which is a interactive exhibition about the ocean, its creatures and the impact of human activities on it.